Most households have a compact vacuum cleaner for cleaning parquet, carpet , PVC or laminate floors. Whether bagless, with water filter and dust bag or with a rechargeable battery: the variety is great, so the decision is not easy. When choosing the right vacuum cleaner, the volume, power, energy consumption, telescopic tube, nozzles, suction power and extras play a role.
In this vacuum cleaner comparison, over 15 different models from Bosch, Philips, Siemens and other brands are presented. The focus is on the advantages and disadvantages as well as the functions and equipment. Then the most important information about the compact vacuum cleaner and all details of the vacuum cleaner tests by Stiftung Warentest and Test are summarized.
1. Siemens VS06B1110 cylinder vacuum cleaner with hygiene filter
The Siemens VS06B1110 cylinder compact vacuum cleaner can be used flexibly and has a high-power motor and a PowerSecure system. With the specified power of 700 watts, the model should be able to achieve very good cleaning results. According to Siemens, the PowerSecure system ensures lasting cleaning performance with an integrated hygiene filter that is responsible for clean exhaust air. The bag volume is four liters.
The operating noise is 81 decibels. With a total weight of 4.7 kilograms, this device in energy efficiency class B is one of the lighter models among vacuum cleaners. According to Siemens, consumers benefit from cleaning performance comparable to that of a 2,200 watt vacuum cleaner. You should be able to vacuum thoroughly despite the vacuum cleaner bag being full.
Siemens wants to ensure thorough cleaning performance with stable, low power consumption. That is why the company carries out its own compact vacuum cleaner tests on hard floors and carpets. The special PowerProtect vacuum cleaner bag therefore consists of multi-layer filters that can absorb a lot of dirt and dust.
When you purchase the Siemens VS06B1110 vacuum cleaner, you will receive numerous accessories such as a crevice and upholstery nozzle. You can set the switchable roller nozzle to the floor covering using the foot switch. The bristle ring cleans the hard floors and does not leave out the carpet edges. When vacuuming, the cylinder vacuum cleaner filters the fine particles out of the air.
These are the most important criteria when choosing a vacuum cleaner
Many consumers who want to buy a new vacuum cleaner are primarily interested in the performance. However, there are many other features that you should definitely check when making your purchase decision. Here you will find important criteria:
- Performance: Classic vacuum cleaners usually have much more power than compact vacuum cleaner. Remember that performance can vary widely depending on the model. Commercial vacuum cleaners usually have less than 800 watts, because the manufacturers have further developed their technology so that – unlike before – this performance should be enough in every household.
- Action radius and duration: The action radius plays an important role if you are interested in wired vacuum cleaners. You must always pay attention to the length of the cable and that of the suction pipe. Small and compact vacuum cleaner often offer an average cable length of up to ten meters. But there are also models with an operating radius of up to 15 meters. While the action radius plays a role in wired models, you should consider the battery life for versions with a battery. Check this in advance of the purchase as well as the charging time of the battery from the cordless vacuum cleaner.
- Suction technology and filter: vacuum cleaners are based on a simple system and are equipped with a blower, which creates a vacuum. Dust particles, pollen or hair or animal hair can be sucked in via the vacuum cleaner nozzle and collected in the bag. There are differences in the filters that you have to consider. The HEPA filters are particularly modern. However, if you opt for a vacuum cleaner without a bag, you should pay attention to the volume of the container.
- Bag capacity: If a vacuum cleaner with a bag is used, you should pay attention to the bag size. It indicates how much volume of dust and dirt the vacuum cleaner can collect. Compared to devices without a bag, there are additional costs for the vacuum cleaner bags, which should be included in the calculation.
- Energy efficiency class: If you attach great importance to the environment and low power consumption, then choose a vacuum cleaner with energy efficiency class A. Basically, the energy consumption per energy efficiency class increases by around five kilowatt hours. So if you are interested, pay attention to this and decide on a model that has at least energy efficiency class A.
- Weight and size: When you use the vacuum cleaner in your own home, weight and size play an important role. Heavy and large vacuum cleaners are quite complicated to guide through the room. Therefore, you should find a good compromise between both properties.
- Noise level: Vacuum cleaners are equipped with an electric motor, which ensures a certain volume during operation. Most devices on the market reach a sound level of up to 80 decibels. From this value, most consumers state that they perceive the volume as “very loud”. For example, 80 decibels are reached when speaking particularly loudly or when there is an argument. A classic piano playing also reaches this volume. However, since you won’t be using your vacuum cleaner for a long period of time, this shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Some manufacturers, such as Bosch, have committed themselves to a special technology with which the vacuum cleaners can only reach a volume of up to 70 decibels. This can be done with an onkettles are compared.
- Power supply: Classic vacuum cleaners with cables are plugged into the home socket to supply the device with energy. A vacuum cleaner with a battery, on the other hand, is more flexible because you do not need a power supply. You should pay attention to the battery life and charging time. Manufacturers usually supply suitable charging stations with these products. Replacement batteries are available from suppliers as additional accessories.
- Special functions: Before making a purchase decision, you should check exactly what you need your vacuum cleaner for. There are some special functions that support many models, such as use as a floor or hand-held vacuum cleaner. Many devices also have an integrated brush, which can be used in combination with a wet function for better cleanliness when vacuuming. In the area of special functions, you should pay attention to the scope of delivery of the vacuum cleaner. Many manufacturers include additional accessories in the standard scope of delivery. This should be taken into account when comparing prices.
You can choose between these six types of vacuum cleaners
Handheld vacuum cleaner
Handheld vacuum cleaners require less storage space and weigh less than classic vacuum cleaners. Both types of devices are similar in construction: The cable-operated hand-held vacuum cleaners have filters, blowers, motors and bags or dust boxes. The latter have a lower recording volume. After all, the manufacturers have to save weight and mass at one point.
The nozzles, the telescopic rod and the dust box sit in one component. If you want to vacuum under low pieces of furniture, you usually have to move the apartment around or change the vacuum cleaner. In addition, many manufacturers save the automatic cable retraction.
Pros and cons of the cordless vacuum cleaner
- Agile and space-saving
- Lighter weight
- Suitable for small apartments
- Good cleaning performance
- Automatic cable pulling is often missing
- Restricted freedom of movement under low furniture
Canister vacuum cleaner
The classic cylinder vacuum cleaner with bag and cable is available as a multi-purpose, dry or wet vacuum. The housing is equipped with a filter, a blower, a motor and at least two rollers. With these models, you usually have to carry little weight and benefit from a large operating radius – depending on the cable length and the intake manifold. Ideally, you can adjust the latter to your height.
Possible problems arise in winding, narrow apartments. The compact vacuum cleaner gets stuck here quickly. Even when vacuuming stairs or when used in the car interior, many vacuum cleaners with cables reach their limits. The dust bags also ensure ongoing additional costs. Therefore, before buying, you should pay attention to how much the bags cost for the desired vacuum cleaner model.
Pros and cons of the vacuum cleaner
- Often with bags
- High recording volume
- Uncomplicated to use
- Good purchase price
- Thorough cleaning
- Stiff in small apartments
- Bulky when cleaning stairs
- Cable connection can restrict freedom of movement
Vacuum cleaner with battery
Unlike the cable remote suckers save Akkusauger the power connection and are powered by a powerful battery. Whether as a combi model or as a small vacuum: Manufacturers like Dyson make vacuuming easier and less complicated. With the small suction cups, the handle follows the nozzle directly. Place a telescopic pole between the floor vacuums. There are usually no bags with these teats.
The models are suitable for cleaning in between, because they are immediately at hand and ready for use. Especially when cleaning upholstery or vacuuming the car interior, these devices are affordable. Compared to the classic suction cups, they often lack suction power. Even the best battery lasts no longer than 40 minutes in the normal suction level.
Pros and cons of the handheld vacuum cleaner with battery
- Flexible and without cables in use
- High freedom of movement
- Easily clean the car interior and upholstery
- Combi models combine floor vacuums and mini vacuums
- In contrast to cable models, the service life is limited
- The battery lasts a maximum of 40 minutes
- Often weaker suction power with long pile carpets
Allergy-free vacuum cleaner for pet owners (dogs and cats)
Vacuum cleaners for allergy sufferers are particularly important if you want to avoid pollen in the exhaust air. The devices are equipped with special filter systems. They clean the house dust efficiently so that only a fraction of the allergens are released into the air. There are often different filter systems based on a special bag or a HEPA filter. The same applies to allergy-free vacuum cleaners equipped with a water filter.
Pros and cons of the handheld vacuum cleaner with battery
- Exhaust air is cleaned of pollen and house dust
- Special filter systems
- Often quite expensive
- Costs can also arise in maintenance
- Cleaning is difficult with water vacuum cleaners
Vacuum cleaner robot
A compact vacuum cleaner robot is a model that drives around independently and cleans the floor. Most manufacturers’ models drive to the charging station on their own and should be easy to use.
Pros and cons of the vacuum cleaner robot
- Practical solution
- Energy supply through charging station
- Many devices can be controlled via app
- High acquisition costs
- Vacuum cleaner robots do not reach all corners and areas
- Some models drive rooms “aimlessly”
Cyclone vacuum cleaner
Cyclone vacuum cleaners have the advantage that you do not need a vacuum cleaner bag. In addition, the finest dust particles should be sucked up and kept in the collection container, which is especially important for sensitive people. If you are interested in a cyclone vacuum cleaner that does not need a bag, you can also expect less odor and clean exhaust air.
Pros and cons of cyclone vacuum cleaners
- Constantly high suction power
- The finest dust particles are retained
- No follow-up costs because bags for the vacuum cleaner are not necessary
- Volume from the container is often small
- Higher acquisition costs than normal versions
Five helpful tips for choosing a compact vacuum cleaner
- Try out the vacuum cleaner: You can easily find out whether a vacuum cleaner is suitable for you by trying out a model in practice. You don’t have to go to the nearest electronics store for this. Instead, you can order and test a vacuum cleaner of your choice at home. After you have tried the device, you can easily determine whether the vacuum cleaner is too loud for you or how well you can regulate the suction power. The tubes and handles should always be comfortable in your hand. Test various floor coverings. This is the only way to determine whether you can handle the vacuum cleaner.
- The performance: When choosing a vacuum cleaner, many consumers pay attention to the wattage. You should note that manufacturers in the EU have been able to offer vacuum cleaners with a maximum output of 900 watts since September 2017. The performance itself does not matter. The combined system of performance, nozzles and filters is much more relevant. Numerous Amazon customers confirm in their reviews that the suction devices with a 700 watt output achieve comparable suction results to other devices with 2,200 watts.
- Can the vacuum cleaner be parked comfortably? Imagine that the doorbell rings or you have to take care of your child even though you are vacuuming. In such a case, it is important that you can park the vacuum cleaner safely. When choosing a vacuum cleaner, make sure you have the appropriate brackets. This is the only way to turn the household appliance on easily.
- Are the matching slip-on nozzles included in the scope of delivery? Many manufacturers include various clip-on nozzles with the compact vacuum cleaner. Depending on the intended use, you should pay attention to the accessory package. Nozzles for carpets and hard floors can often be switched. Some devices have special push-on nozzles with which animal hair can be easily sucked. The same applies to upholstery vacuums, which are particularly important if you want to clean your upholstered furniture from dirt.
- HEPA filter: Allergy sufferers often suffer from pollen and dust pollution in the house. You can remedy this with the vacuum cleaners that have a HEPA filter. This way, even the finest particles can be 99 percent vacuumed up and filtered. Many manufacturers specify a specific filter class. The higher this number, the better the quality of the filter installed.
- Acquisition costs for vacuum cleaner bags: If you commit yourself to a vacuum cleaner with a bag, then it is always important to consider the subsequent costs. Finally, you need the pouch to be able to put the device into operation. In the long term, there are sometimes very high costs, which you should definitely calculate in comparison to the prices of a new vacuum cleaner without a bag.
Which is better: a vacuum cleaner with or without a bag?
Are you wondering which vacuum cleaner suits you? In general, you can choose between vacuum cleaners with and without a bag. There are also vacuum cleaners with a battery and robot vacuum cleaners.
Vacuum cleaners with a bag offer the advantage that they can be emptied much more easily and hygienically: you take the bag out of the vacuum cleaner and can dispose of it completely without the dirt being sucked out.
With a vacuum cleaner without a bag, disposal can become a dusty affair since dust particles escape and remain in the room. Vacuum cleaners with bags are cheaper to buy, but additional expenses and running costs come from buying the vacuum cleaner bags.
Vacuum cleaners that do not need a bag are characterized by a compact vacuum cleaner design and often weigh less. The biggest advantage is obvious: you don’t have to buy vacuum cleaner bags . On this occasion, pay attention to the necessary filters. Some cheap bagless teats require a new filter every one to three months, which is expensive.
Where can you buy a vacuum cleaner?
You can buy vacuum cleaners both in classic retail outlets and online. If you are interested in an online order, retailers or platforms such as Amazon , MediaMarkt or Saturn and eBay are recommended.
The range of models immediately available there is usually more extensive than at the local dealer. In addition, the prices on the Internet are usually lower than in specialist shops.
How much does a good vacuum cleaner cost?
As you can see in the vacuum cleaner overview shown above, you will find good models in a wide variety of price regions. But it also depends on the personal requirements for the device. If, for example, it is a vacuum cleaner without a bag, which is wireless and is operated with a rechargeable battery, a higher price can be expected than with wired models.
Inexpensive vacuum cleaners without bags are available for less than 112 dollars and meet the basic requirements of most consumers and users. However, the good devices from brand manufacturers such as Bosch, Miele or AEG are in the higher price segment. Often, these vacuum cleaners are characterized by better performance and efficiency, which should also be reflected in the energy efficiency class .
Before you buy a vacuum cleaner, you should consider whether there are any follow-up costs. This includes the purchase of vacuum cleaner bags already mentioned. However, there are also follow-up costs for a vacuum cleaner robot: The technical elements and brushes wear out after a certain time, which, according to the manufacturers, is not the case with inexpensive vacuum cleaners that are equipped without a bag.
Overview of the most popular vacuum cleaner brands
You can find models from the brands Siemens, Bosch and AEG, Miele, Dirt Devil and Dyson in the trade . But there are also some vacuum cleaner models from lesser -known manufacturers at online retailers like Amazon , which are characterized by low prices and are still worth a look. With the so-called no-name products, you often pay less for a new vacuum cleaner, so you benefit from a better price-performance ratio.
However, if you have had positive experiences with a vacuum cleaner from a certain manufacturer in the past, it is advisable to buy a new model from this brand. In this case, handling the device should be easy.
What are the alternatives?
Modern vacuum cleaner robots are particularly in demand . Many models can keep up with classic vacuum cleaners in terms of performance. Only the efficiency often leaves something to be desired, because these devices usually do not reach all corners in a room. This applies primarily to the cheap vacuum cleaner robots. Nevertheless, well-equipped vacuum cleaner robots are a sensible alternative. They offer the advantage that they vacuum automatically, for example at night or during the day when you are at work.
In addition to the vacuum cleaner robots, vacuum cleaners with an integrated battery are worth mentioning. These cordless vacuum cleaners are often bag-free and cordless at the same time and can be used flexibly. Compared to vacuum cleaners with bags, you will incur significantly higher purchase costs. You should also keep in mind that the battery needs to be charged. The models only work for a limited time until the battery is empty. This could be a problem, especially if you clean larger areas and do not always want to pay attention to the current battery charge.
The compact vacuum cleaner, which you can use in small apartments, for example, are quite cheap. The easy handling is a positive aspect of these models. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, hand vacuum cleaners are particularly recommended for hard and carpeted floors. Thanks to various attachments, you can efficiently remove minor dirt on all floors and carpets.
How long should a vacuum cleaner last?
In the run-up to the purchase of an electronic device, numerous consumers are unsure about the prices. Some people consciously spend more money on a vacuum cleaner because they hope that the device can be used for a longer period of time.
But what is it all about and how long can it really be used from the date of purchase of a vacuum cleaner?
No general statement can be made here. You should note that the useful life of a vacuum cleaner depends on various factors, such as the frequency of use and care. Stiftung Warentest, for example, states that vacuum cleaners should last a good ten years. However, this is not to be expected for all models that are commercially available. In particular, inexpensive versions from unknown manufacturers in Asia should no longer be ready for use after a few years.
Therefore, it is recommended to pay attention to the durability when buying a vacuum cleaner. Among other things, Stiftung Warentest carried out engine measurements and simulated the use of a model over several years.
Vacuum cleaner: everything important for guarantee and repair
Depending on the vacuum cleaner, manufacturers state different warranty periods. For example, if you choose a Miele and AEG device, you benefit from a two-year guarantee from the date of purchase. Some manufacturers offer a paid warranty extension. Before buying a vacuum cleaner, find out exactly what the guarantee means!
In the case of an inexpensive model from an unknown manufacturer, it makes little sense to commit yourself to a warranty extension, which costs a lot and costs a lot. In the event of a defect, it usually makes more sense to get a new vacuum cleaner.
Stiftung Warentest has specifically dealt with vacuum cleaners regarding the repair of defective household appliances. The consumer advocates concluded that repairs are rarely worthwhile. Only hobbyists who can repair their vacuum cleaner themselves benefit from the repair of such a household appliance and save money. Professional workshops, on the other hand, are very expensive, so it makes sense to buy a new one.
Three of the most important vacuum cleaner accessories and the correct application
When buying a vacuum cleaner, it is recommended that you look carefully at the various accessories and the supplied set. But how do you use the accessories correctly? Here are some tips.
Crevice nozzle : With a crevice nozzle you are well served if, for example, you want to remove dust and dirt from the sofa. Use in the car is also recommended. There are often other attachments with which you can clean hard-to-reach areas.
Dust brush : This accessory is suitable for cleaning wooden surfaces. Particularly soft bristles in the form of a round brush are used here. Sensitive surfaces can be cleaned easily and safely with this brush without damaging them.
Telescopic tube extension : You can flexibly use a simple vacuum cleaner with the telescopic tube extension. Customers with a small height benefit from this, for example, in an old building with high ceilings.
Vacuum cleaner nozzles: which nozzle for which situation?
A good vacuum cleaner has different nozzles. The focus is in particular on the respective floor covering, as will be explained below.
Carpet : If you want to clean a carpet, you should use the combi nozzle, which usually has a bristle ring. With this you should be able to easily remove even stubborn dirt. Some vacuum cleaners also have a combination nozzle with an integrated electric brush.
Hard floor : A combi nozzle is recommended for all types of hard floors. However, you should make sure that only the extended bristle ring is used.
Parquet : With this floor covering, you should use a special parquet nozzle that many vacuum cleaners have.
Joints and corners : A crevice nozzle is ideal for this. With this you can thoroughly clean even hard-to-reach areas.
Upholstery and mattresses : An upholstery nozzle is recommended for cleaning a sofa. An alternative is the turbo brush for all types of heavy soiling.
Sensitive objects or cupboards : In principle, you should only use accessories from the vacuum cleaner for sensitive furnishings, such as a suction brush.
Four tips for maintaining your vacuum cleaner – so you can increase the life!
Since a vacuum cleaner is not cheap, thorough maintenance is recommended to increase life expectancy. Below are some tips on how to increase life expectancy.
1.Clean the floor nozzle: Always remember that this nozzle is cleared of visible dirt. With an old comb you can keep the suction opening of the vacuum cleaner free.
2. Cleaning the pipes : A blocked vacuum cleaner pipe blocks the dirt pick-up. It is therefore a good idea to keep the pipes and attachments of the vacuum cleaner and the floor tiles free of dirt. It is recommended to rinse the pipe with hot water. For more stubborn dirt, you can use a solution of warm water and detergent.
3. Clean the collecting container : If your vacuum cleaner does not use a bag, the collecting container must be cleaned regularly. Slightly moistened wipes are particularly suitable for this.
4. Clean the filter : If you use a vacuum cleaner without a bag, you should clean the filter regularly. Pay attention to the manufacturer’s instructions regarding long-term use. It is usually sufficient to rinse the filter under running water. Dirty filters have a very strong impact on the lifespan of the vacuum cleaner, which is why you should place great emphasis on this if you are using a vacuum cleaner without a bag.
Vacuum cleaner for allergy sufferers: what should you watch out for?
People with an allergy should pay attention to some important features when choosing a compact vacuum cleaner. According to the Stiftung Warentest, it is impossible to completely remove the allergy-causing faeces from mites. However, there are specific recommendations for certain vacuum cleaners that ensure this in good shape.
Above all, you should make sure that the vacuum cleaner of your choice offers a high level of dust retention when vacuuming. As the consumer organization confirms, this is made possible by the Siemens VSQ8SEN72C , Kärcher VC6 and the Miele Complete C2 Ecoline Plus .
In addition, a special filter should be used, such as the HEPA filter , which you have to clean and replace regularly. If you use a vacuum cleaner with filter bags, you should change them every month.
Stiftung Warentest also advises that those affected should not use a compact vacuum cleaner whose manufacturer advertises the ” water bath ” feature . With these devices, the dust in the air is bound with water. However, according to the consumer organization, not all of the dust is to be sucked up by this device as with a conventional vacuum cleaner.
How is a vacuum cleaner properly disposed of?
Even if you take good care of the vacuum cleaner, the longevity is not automatically given. But what if it is broken? How is a compact vacuum cleaner disposed of?
According to the electronics and electronic scrap law , it is forbidden to dispose of vacuum cleaners in the normal household waste. Because when recycling a vacuum cleaner, dangerous substances such as mercury or lead can escape.
Therefore, you have to dispose of your vacuum cleaner properly. Here is a classic collection point for electronic scrap. You can find these in your local recycling center . There you can dispose of small electronic devices, which usually also include vacuum cleaners, free of charge. Depending on the region, there is also a mobile variant that accepts hazardous waste.
The second option for the correct disposal of a vacuum cleaner is the dealer. According to the law, he is obliged that all product groups that are sold must also be taken back by the customer free of charge for professional disposal. It does not matter whether you bought the device from this dealer.
Finally, there is another way to dispose of a compact vacuum cleaner. If this should still work, you can donate , give away or sell your old vacuum cleaner . If you want to donate your device, social institutions are the first point of contact.
Is there a vacuum cleaner test by Stiftung Warentest?
The Stiftung Warentest regularly takes a close look at the vacuum cleaners. Most recently, at this point more compact vacuum cleaner models tested in February 2020th 15 models had to face the testers, three of them with an electric brush.
In total you will find 121 different vacuum cleaners in the Stiftung Warentest database since the last update. According to the consumer organization, 52 are currently available.
Cylinder vacuum or cordless vacuum?
In terms of freedom of movement and flexibility, the cordless vacuum cleaners are ahead. However, many wireless versions leave dirt in the carpet. The best models got up to 88 percent dust from the carpet, while the weakest cordless vacuum cleaners only picked up 22 percent dirt. This cordless vacuum test was carried out under optimal conditions.
The testers emptied the dust box thoroughly beforehand to ensure maximum performance. However, not all of the battery-operated vacuum cleaners were weak. The winners were able to score with a reliable cleaning performance and could be converted into a handy small vacuum in a few simple steps. This increases the range of functions and turns such a model into practical help for the household.
How did Stiftung Warentest test the vacuum cleaners?
The experts first checked whether the compact vacuum cleaner can handle animal hair. Not all models were convincing here. The suction cups with special electric nozzles and rotating brushes were an exception. In addition, the main focus was on the permanent load, the thoroughness, the power consumption, and the handling when vacuuming through the compact vacuum cleaner. This was the only way to arrive at an objective test judgment of a compact vacuum cleaner.