The straightening brush has emerged as a small revolution in recent years in the world of hairdressing. Halfway between the traditional brush and the straightening iron, it smooths hair quickly and gives it a natural effect, while protecting it from the risk of drying out. To further discover it, I have prepared a comprehensive buying guide so that you can consciously choose the most suitable model for you.
Straightening brush or straightener: Advantages/disadvantages
To have beautiful smooth hair, several devices exist, such as the straightening iron, which is also called a straightener, or the straightening brush. If these two devices have similarities, I will show you how their use differs.
The pros and cons of the straightening brush
From a visual point of view, the straightening brush looks like a standard hairbrush with the particularity, however, of being powered by an electric cable. When plugged in, the straightening brush is responsible for distributing heat evenly over your hair.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” wpc_style=”wppc-view1″ title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow” verdict_text=””][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- It detangles and smoothes hair faster than a straightener. On average, you will only spend a few minutes there
- It detangles and smoothes all types of hair, including frizzy and frizzy hair. You just have to pay attention to the selected model; some are more suitable than others. In any case, you can adjust the temperature of the brush according to the nature of your hair;
- It is used like a conventional brush, which makes it particularly simple to use
- It is light and therefore more pleasant to take in hand than a straightener, which can, for its part, tire the arm more
- It is often less expensive than a straightening iron. On average, prices vary between 30 and 300 euros for high-end models
- It protects hair better than a straightening iron. Indeed, by placing your hair directly in contact with the heating tongs, the straightening iron damages them further
- It can be used on damp hair
- The straightening brush will not bring the same smoothing result as the straightening iron. And this is entirely logical since the temperature delivered is lower in a straightening brush than in a straightener
- On some models, the start / stop and temperature control buttons are sometimes placed side by side, which can increase the risk of improper handling of the device.
Anyway, if you want to have a smooth hair – baguette style – a hair straightener is preferred. However, if you are looking for a quick solution to untangle and straighten your hair in a few minutes, while preserving it, the straightening brush is then the best solution for you.
Comparison: the 3 best straightening brushes I tested
Among all the offers available on the market, it is not always easy to choose your straightening brush. This is why I have selected three high-performance models for you, all of them highly rated by consumers.
CNXUX SMOOTHING BRUSH
With its 5 temperature settings, the CNXUS heating smoothing brush adapts to all types of hair: fine or thick hair, natural or bleached, light or dark, curly or curly, etc.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” wpc_style=”wppc-view1″ title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow” verdict_text=””][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- 5 adjustable heat levels (130 to 210 °)
- Ready to smooth in 30 s
- Anti-scalding outer frame
Triangular heating teeth
- Swivel power cord
- Ease of use
- Automatic closing after 20 min;
- Excellent value
- Not ideal for afro type hair
- A little heavy brush
What consumers say
With more than 200 positive reviews, this heated smoothing brush seems to be unanimous. Customers appreciate its ease of use, but also its speed of heating: “The brush heats up quickly in a few seconds and thus does not waste my time. “,” It is very easy to use, just turn it on and set to the desired temperature. It’s also very fast, with my thick, wavy hair, I took 1/4 hour. ”
This model benefits from an excellent quality-price ratio and allows in a few minutes to have a very satisfactory result. I particularly like the fire-retardant plastic frame which provides total protection against burns. The swivel power cable also makes smoothing easy and limits twisting of the wire, and therefore wastes time.
SMOOTHING BRUSH BABYLISS
Perfect for wavy hair, or subject to frizz, the Babyliss smoothing brush eliminates static electricity thanks to its ionic technology.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” wpc_style=”wppc-view1″ title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow” verdict_text=””][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Combination of pins;
- Suitable for all hair types;
- Powerful ion technology;
- Rotating cord;
- Good grip;
- Product guaranteed 3 years;
- Delivered with a glove and a heat resistant mat;
- Temperature indicator (LED)
- A bit heavy;
- Significant cooling time;
- 3 temperature settings only
What consumers say
Consumers have rated Babyliss’ straightening brush rather well. They particularly appreciate its ceramic coating as well as the combination of spikes allowing the brush to slide easily over the hair.
This model is brilliantly designed and offers innovative features, in particular to eliminate static electricity thanks to ionic technology. Finally, the detangling, styling and smoothing pins provide a very appreciable homogeneous and natural result.
ABOX SMOOTHING BRUSH
Equipped with 8 temperature settings, ceramic coating, ion technology and burn protection, this smoothing brush is a great deal to grab for the discerning consumer.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” wpc_style=”wppc-view1″ title_tag=”H3″ title=”Title Here” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow” verdict_text=””][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- 8 temperature levels: 160 to 230 ° C;
- Fast heating;
- Ionic function and ceramic coating;
- Hitchhiking function after 30 min;
- Constant and homogeneous heat;
- Lightweight ;
- Soft and rounded teeth;
- 360 ° rotatable cable;
- Excellent value ;
- 2.5 m power supply.
- Less effective on frizzy hair.
What consumers say
Most customers are very satisfied with it: “Ideal smoothing brush: easy to use, it smoothes hair quickly and effortlessly”, “From the first pass, I was quite surprised since the hair was well smoothed. »,« I have fine, supple and highlighted hair. This allows you to have disciplined hair in no time, with quick, natural styling, more volume. ”
This model is certainly the one offering the best value for money. With its different adjustment levels, we can hope to reach a satisfactory level of smoothness in just a few minutes.
How to choose your straightening brush?
Here are the main criteria to take into account to ensure you make the best possible choice.
A brush adapted to the nature of his hair
You will certainly see that not all models are created equal. While some brushes are aimed at a wide audience, others are more specialized, and are more specifically aimed at women with thick, wavy or curly hair. So, depending on the type of your hair, I strongly recommend that you choose an appropriate technology, in which case you may be disappointed with the result.
A brush with several temperature levels
The heated straightening brushes benefit from most temperature levels on most models, and can go up to 230 ° C. Understand that the more intense the heat, the more the smoothing will have a plated effect! So, if you have fine hair, no need to invest in a brush with a high temperature level.
A brush with ionic technology
Ion technology is a process that produces negative ions to counter the appearance of frizz and the formation of static electricity due to hair straightening. Indeed, when exposed to high temperatures, our hair naturally gives off positive ions which cause the effects described above. This is why it is better to opt for this technology to make the hair more pleasant to the touch.
Easy to use brush
Depending on the model, some brushes are easier to handle than others. To do this, care must be taken to monitor the weight and size of the brush. The first criterion allows you to handle the brush without feeling pain in your arm; the second makes it easy to transport the device in a bag: useful for your outings and trips.
A safe brush
Some models have additional safety features to prevent burns when the brush is passed through. Either way, the heat should be constant and evenly distributed throughout the hair for maximum protection. Automatic device interruption is also recommended after 20 to 30 min.
- Remington is a very popular brand in the world of electro-beauty. Distributed throughout France and Europe, the brand offers a wide range of hair products at low prices;
- Madame Paris is a young French brand offering high-end products, all guaranteed for 5 years. Its responsive customer service and the quality of its products set it apart from its competitors;
- Babyliss is a French brand, sold for some time to the American group Conair. The brand’s first product was the curling iron;
- Calor is a French brand, belonging to the SEB group, which specializes in the design and manufacture of hair dryers, steam generators, hair clippers and straighteners, among others.
My opinion on the use of a straightening brush
Understand that the straightening brush is not made to completely flatten the hair as would for example a straightening iron. Indeed, the straightening brush is more designed to offer a natural and voluminous result, while having straight hair. This is mainly due to the fact that this device reaches lower heating temperatures, which still has the advantage of drying your hair less, and therefore damaging it less.
In conclusion, it is an essential device to gain precious minutes in the morning. You will gain on average between 20 and 30 min to untangle and straighten your hair.
Which smoothing brush to choose?
In terms of price, the brushes presented in the comparison are almost equivalent.
However, you must be vigilant about the temperature levels, especially if you have thick, wavy or Afro-type hair. In this case, better old invest in the straightening brush ABOX which can go up to 230 ° C.
For other types of hair, it is mainly a question of affinity with the ergonomics of the devices. The babyliss brush, for example, has a unique shape that does not necessarily appeal to everyone.
Anyway, the three models are all very efficient, it only remains to select yours according to your personal tastes.